From 8 July 1929, the vehicles were deployed into a new train the Torquay Pullman Limited, an all-Pullman service which ran two days a week between London Paddington and Paignton, stopping at Newton Abbot and Torquay only.Not a commercial success, the train returned for the 1930 timetable as a 3 car only service, but was withdrawn at the end of the summer timetable, with the carriages stored at Old Oak Common.The concept of luxury coaches spread to the other UK railway companies thereafter.The PCC was formed in 1882 and named after the Pullman concept pioneered in the United States by the American railroader George Pullman.Hitherto the Brighton Pullmans had been painted dark mahogany brown with gold lining and scrollwork. However, in 1928 the company placed an ordered for seven Pullman cars - four Kitchen Cars and three Parlour Cars, No's 252-258 - with construction subcontracted to Metropolitan Cammell in Birmingham.
The company entered into contracts with the railway companies to operate Pullman services over their lines. coaches to umber brown with white or cream upper panels, and in 1906 this colour scheme was also adopted by the Pullman Car Co., with the name of the car in large gilt letters...".
Pullman trains offered more luxurious accommodation than ordinary mainline trains. Pullman Car manufacture was also carried out by Birmingham Railway Carriage and Wagon Company and Metropolitan Cammell Carriage and Wagon Co.. This was the beginning of the tradition of PCC services operating with a brown-and-cream livery and named carriages, which continues to the present day.
The London, Brighton and South Coast Railway was the first UK railway company to operate a complete Pullman train, the Pullman Limited, which started on the London to Brighton route on 5 December 1881. In 1906 the LBSCR introduced three new thirty-five ton twelve-wheelers Princess Ena, Princess Patricia, and Duchess of Norfolk. Pullman trains were mostly locomotive-hauled, although from 1932 the electrified Southern Railway and its successors operated electric multiple units, the British Rail Class 403 as the Brighton Belle.
These last three cars were the first Pullmans to be painted in the now familiar umber and cream livery. The Great Western Railway was reluctant to use Pullman's, considering its own carriages luxurious enough.
A proposal was made to return the full seven car train in summer 1931, but the decision was taken not to operate the service.
At the end of the year, the decision was made to terminate the experiment, and the carriages were sold to the Southern Railway, joining their Western Section carriage fleet pool at Clapham Junction.